Learn More About Optimal Self-Care...
- Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School - This is where the initial work on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) was done by Jon Kabat Zinn. The center also maintains a database of different MBSR teaching programs.
- eMindful - Online courses that teach mindfulness.
- Mindful Awareness Research Center at the UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior (MARC) -- MARC has a lot of background information about mindfulness as well as free meditation podcasts.
Movement, Exercise and Rest
- The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) is a respected resource for exercise information. They issued new fitness guidelines in 2011.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers resources to encourage more active lifestyles for all Americans.
- The National Sleep Foundation offers resources to promote better understanding of the importance of sleep.
- The University of Michigan Integrative Medicine Department has developed a healing foods pyramid as a resource.
- The Nutrition Source at Harvard School of Public Health offers resources to help people make healthy food choices.
- NutritionFacts.org offers numerous videos explaining the latest nutritional research.
- If you use nutritional supplements, Consumer Lab provides independent reviews of products.
Personal and Professional Development
- Lifehack.org is a lifstyle blog dedicated to providing tips and information that improve all aspects of life.
- JobHuntersBible.com is a companion website for the well-known book What Color is Your Parachute and offers resources for people considering career changes.
- Shawn Achor is a well-known happiness expert. We recommend his TED talk about The Wisdom of Play.
- The Environmental Working Group puts out a series of consumer guides about how to avoid environmental risks.
- The National Library of Medicine offers an interactive guide to environmental health issues.
- The National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) maintains a directory of organizing experts.
- Sarah Susanka, author of The Not So Big House, offers a number of resources in how to create a home that honors your values.
Relationships and Communication
- Communication expert, Rebecca Shafir, offers resources about mindful communication.
- Non-Violent Communication (also known as Compassionate Communication) offers tools to facilitate interactions that honors the needs of all participants. The Center for Non-Violent Communication offers training and resources for individuals who want to teach this method of communication.
- The Gottman Institute offers trainings for enhanced communication for couples and parents, and has a referral network for therapists trained in their approach.
- The University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality and Healing offers resources that explore the intersection between spirituality and well-being.
- The George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health offers an online education center for topics related to religion, spirituality and health.
- Andrew Newberg, MD is an expert about neurotheology -- the neuroscientific study of religious and spiritual experiences. Information about his articles and books can be found on his website.
- The Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom offers resources related to neuroscience and contemplative spirtual traditions.
- The North Carolina Council of Churches is a Christian organization that sponsors the Partners in Health and Wholeness program, an initiative aimed promoting healthier faith communities.
- Rick Hanson is a neuropsychologist who provides resources related to mind-body awareness.
- The Academy for Guided Imagery educates and supports health professionals who use imagery in their practice. A directory of their practitioners can be found here.
- The Biofeedback Certification Institute of American offers a directory of professionals certified in biofeedback.
- The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis offer a directory of professionals trained in clinical hypnosis.
- The Center for Journal Therapy offers suggestions about how to start a journal.
- Heartmath offers training and tools for stress management.
Professional Health Care
- For conventional or allopathic healthcare providers, individual licensing boards can provide license verification information for any professionals about whom you are seeking information.
- The North Carolina Board of Nursing provides license verification for professional nurses including advanced practice nurses such as nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, and clinical nurse specialists.
- The North Carolina Medical Board provides information about licensed physicians, physician assistants, residents, clinical pharmacist practitioners, anesthesiologist assistants, perfusionists and sleep technologists.
- The North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners provider a database of licensed physical therapists.
- The North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapists provides a database of licensed occupational therapists.
- The North Carolina Psychology Board provides a database for licensed psychologists.
- The National Institute of Health provides information about the training and credentialing of providers of complementary and alternative medical (CAM) treatments.
- Eat Smart, Move More North Carolina is a North Carolina public-private coalition that provides resources to combat the obesity epidemic.
- Partners in Health and Wholeness is a faith-based initiative sponsored by the North Carolina Council of Churches. It provides resources aimed at helping congregations promote health and well-being for their members and their broader communities.